Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Write Club -- Mood Control

Hey y'all.  So I was talking to an aspiring writer that I know on Blizzforums, and he sent me some samples of writing he did when he was in his teens.  I'm a picky critic, poor guy, and I really let him have it.  He dealt with my critiques very well, though, and he asked for a challenge so that he can show how much he improved over the years.  And I agreed.

The challenge I came up with was one to test his ability to control his audience.  That's right, all forms of writing involve mind control.  Specifically, writers are meant to grab people by the emotions and make them feel a specific way.  Many flaws in writing can be forgiven if the emotional control is good.



So the challenge I gave him was to write a short story that would make people on Blizzforums feel happy.  It had to be between 1,000 to 2,500 words, and is due in ten days.  I now give the assignment to you on my blog.  Write a story that makes people feel a certain way with the above limitations...except you don't have to post it on Blizzforums.

Actually, I told him to pick happy because I'm not sure how good he is at being happy, but you can pick whatever emotion you want.  Like wistful, sad, glamorous, daring, fearful, angry, or silly.  Pick what you like and go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment